The current situation with Covid-19 makes it very difficult to visit schools and other institutions in a safe manner. With that in mind, Steve is able to offer the talks, readings and Q&A sessions with groups through Skype and Zoom (or something else if you have a preference).
If you think this might be suitable for you and your group, please don’t hesitate to get in contact on email@example.com to discuss details further.
Since turning freelance in 2004, Steve has used his wealth of experience to give talks, sit on panels and run workshops. They have been delivered at international conferences, to groups of students and to small groups of creative individuals and each has been extremely well received.
Talks have ranged from full keynote speeches to small ones that last 20 minutes in an intimate group setting and have allowed Steve to explore creative subjects close to his heart and mind:
- Aspects of character in games
- Ideas, story and writing for games
- Creativity and games
- Storytelling and new technologies
- Turning film and TV IP into games
Sitting on discussion panels with other writers or creative people is always an excellent and exciting way of getting multiple perspectives on a theme. Steve has contributed to panels that have taken place at gaming events and at the prestigious London Screenwriters’ Festival.
Workshops fall into a few categories:
- Transferring existing writing skills into the games medium.
- Interactive writing covered from the ground up.
- Understanding interactivity and interactive narrative.
- Learning how writing and game design work together.
The depth and detail of each will depend on your requirements and can be tailored to your needs, including variations on these main themes. Combining workshops into more extensive sessions is also possible.
If you would like Steve to sit on a panel, run a workshop or talk at your event, educational establishment or organisation, please don’t hesitate to contact him to work out details. If you have a particular need or a specific time slot to fill, this can be easily accommodated.
If you have any other ideas along similar lines to the above Steve would be more than happy to discuss possibilities with you.
School Talks and Workshops
Children have the potential for greatness if they can be inspired from an early age to see the worth of education. In today’s world, with so much emphasis on entertainment of all kinds, and games in particular, a talk on games and storytelling and their associated skills can:
- Capture their attention.
- Show the kinds of skills needed for a career in games
- Emphasise the need for education to acquire those skills.
Steve can give talks or run workshops for large or small groups.
He can cover:
- A broad base look at games,
- A general look at game writing and design,
- A focus on more detail within his areas of expertise.
- A close look at writing interactive stories.
If you’d like to discuss ideas and details more fully, please don’t hesitate to get in contact – firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Thank you again for serving as a reader in our video chat today with the children of Reynolds School. We all truly enjoyed listening to your beautiful voice as you read aloud from your favourite books like The Enchanted Schoolhouse and Alice in Wonderland. You were very generous in answering all of the questions from the students. We are extremely grateful we could meet you today.”
– Christina Cucci, Technology Media Specialist, Reynolds School